Cough is common in adults, children, and even newborn babies. There are various reasons that cause coughs, such as colds, flu, smoke, dust, and respiratory tract infections. The cough occurs when the airways are clogged with mucus and other foreign particles, which supposedly cause irritation, eventually leading to coughing. Frequent coughing may be a symptom of an underlying serious disease like tuberculosis. But common coughs are treatable at home and do not require any medications.
Home remedies for coughing:
- Honey contains antibacterial and anti-microbial properties that cure minor bacterial or viral infections. When added to warm water or tea, it soothes the throat and treats daytime and nighttime coughs.
- Ginger contains rich antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to boost the immune system and provide relief from discomfort. Ginger extract can be added to warm water, tea, or any beverage.
- Curcumin is a primary substance in turmeric and contains anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. It is said that, in ayurvedic medicine, turmeric has been used to treat upper respiratory conditions like bronchitis and asthma. Turmeric, when added to warm milk along with a pinch of pepper, suppresses the cough and gives instant relief.
- Marshmallow root is a form of herbal plant which is used in making medicines. It contains a chemical that helps in reducing the cough.
- A nerve in the throat becomes irritated while coughing. Peppermint contains menthol, which numbs the nerves and reduces the urge to cough. Peppermints have antibacterial and antiviral qualities which reduce congestion.
- Gargling with warm salt water thrice a day soothes the sore throat and gives relief from coughing.
Home remedies for bronchial cough:
Bronchitis is an infection of the main air passage of the lungs. It is a common respiratory disease. There are two types of bronchial infection. Acute and chronic bronchitis are caused by viral infections and can be cured with home remedies.
- Garlic – a special property in garlic stops the growth of the Bronchitis virus. It is always advisable to have a lesser amount of garlic. Two fresh garlic cloves per day would suffice.
- Steam – hot water Steam will relax the body’s muscles, loosen the mucus, and free the air passage, making it easier to breathe.
- Pineapple – Bromelain is an enzyme rich in pineapple and contains an anti-inflammatory that expels mucus from the lungs.
Cough home remedy for kids:
Saline nasal drops are recommended for toddlers. These drops clear the nasal congestion and give relief. Chicken contains a compound called carnosine. When affected by the common cold, flu, or cough, chicken soup really provides relief because the steam from the soup clears the congestion.
Home remedies for baby cough:
Honey is completely restricted for babies under age one, because it may cause infant botulism that can be life-threatening. It is always advisable to consult a doctor when the infant seems unwell.
Hope this blog helps in gaining some knowledge about coughs and its home remedies.