Measles is a sickness that is caused by the Rubeola virus. The occurrence of this sickness is rare due to the immunization that all children take to prevent its occurrence. There has always been a fear associated with the catching of measles, because of the form in which it captures the body.
Measles has nearly been eradicated except for a few cases popping up here and there. As a matter of fact, Orlando in Disneyland has been in the news for the outbreak of measles that spread to several states in the United States. One reason that could have caused the outburst at Disneyland could be the catching of the virus by a person who has not been vaccinated and that spread like wildfire.
Now since we think that it has been eradicated, most of us do not even know the symptoms of measles. Let us discuss them.
Symptoms of Measles:
Measles starts with a fever that can be mistaken for a viral fever.
- Fatigue, aches and pains
The affected person might feel tired or sick all the time, along with suffering from body ache and pains.
- Loss of appetite
The virus will cause a person to keep away from food and drink.
This symptom usually accompanies a fever. So if you’re suffering from more than one symptom, it’s better to get it checked.
- Dry cough
A dry cough comes as a part and parcel of suffering from measles.
A rash usually develops after a couple of days after the virus set in the body. They first appear near the neck and face and spread downwards after a couple of days. This rash turns brown after a week or two and dry up. The marks of the rash take some time to disappear completely.
Treatment of Measles:
- There is not specific treatment for measles, unless there is any other secondary infection. Usually our body itself will make antibodies through the immune system and fight the virus.
- One should only take care that the fever does not go out of hand or control.
- Once the antibodies fight off the virus, your body gets immunity for life against the virus.
- The cough may persist for a few days.
- Control the fever using Paracetamol
- Hydrate yourself with water and other fluids.
- Anti-biotic are prescribed only if there is a secondary infection like pneumonia etc…
- There is no solution for the cough, as regular cough medicines have no effect on the cough.
- However, if the symptoms get worse, do visit a doctor. Usually children recover soon after this infection.
- If you suspect that you have the virus, take care to stay at home and ensure it doesn’t spread.
Written by: Rasha Ashraf