Peanut butter is a staple spread for all those households where no one suffers from peanut allergies.Peanut butter is easily available in the market commercially. But trust me peanut butter made at home cannot match up to the ones you buy in the market. First of all you get to choose your own ingredients and secondly it is free from preservatives.
Peanut butter made at home is not only easy but also friendly on the pocket.Peanut butter has a lot of health benefits along with keeping you fuller and since you are making it at home, you can skip all the unhealthy sugars and processed preservatives.You can buy the peanuts in the shells and roast them or if you’re looking to make the process of making peanut butter simpler you can readily buy shelled and roasted peanuts.
What you need?
- Roasted peanuts – 2 Cups
- Peanut oil – 6-8 Tablespoons
- Sweetener (Honey, sugar or Brown sugar) – 2-3
- Salt – Few pinches
- Grind the peanuts in a food processor till it becomes a thick paste. You may have to scrape the sides in between the crushing of the peanuts to a paste.
- Add the sweeteners according to the desired sweetness and combine well in the blender. You may use more than one type of sweetener. For example you can try a blend of honey and sugar for sweetness to your peanut butter.
- Gradually add the peanut oil and salt. If you don’t have peanut oil, you can use any other oil such as sunflower oil or even corn oil. Some peanuts have higher oil content as compared to others. So in such cases, you may have to add lesser amount of oil.
- If you want to make chunky peanut butter. Then take a handful of roasted peanuts and crush them to a coarsely ground powder and mix them to the already prepared peanut butter mixture.
- Store in a dry air tight container, preferably not a metal one, as homemade peanut butter is free from preservatives and can get spoilt easily in metal storage containers.
Once you make it at home, you will never want to buy the ones available at the stores.
Written by: Rasha Ashraf