Bananas are very nutritious fruits. They are packed with potassium and other vitamins and minerals. The best part is that since bananas come naturally sweetened we don’t need to add extra sugar while making any snack with them. Bananas are a great way to restore your body’s energy after a tiring day or even after a strenuous workout.
What you need?
- Rolled oats – 2 cups
- Ripe bananas – 2
- Salt – a few pinches
- Nuts (assorted) – 1/4th cup
- Dates – 1/4th cup
- Vanilla essence (optional) – 1 tsp.
- Grated coconut (optional) – 1/4th cup
- Chocolate chips (optional) – 1/4th cup
- Cinnamon and nutmeg powder – 1/4th tsp.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees centigrade.
- Prepare a tray by greasing it and lining it with butter paper.
- Mash the banana to a fine paste.
- Mix it into the rolled oats.
- Mix in the dates, nuts, salt and the essence.
- You can add the chocolate chips and grated coconut if so desired.
- Press this mixture onto the baking sheet evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or till the edges start browning and becoming crisp.
- Allow to cool on the cooling rack and cut into bars when completely cooled.
- Store in an airtight cookie jar. They can be stored for up to a week.
These banana oatmeal bars are great healthy snacks and will curb unhealthy snacking and keep you from stuffing yourself with unwanted junk food. So don’t forget to carry one of these bars while driving if you’re too rushed for breakfast or to fuel up after a run.
Written by: Rasha Ashraf