Apple a day keeps doctors away, ditch that proverb! Compared to apples, bananas have an array of vitamins and minerals. Bananas are one of the most popular and consumed fruits in the world for various reasons. Here we’ve listed a few-
- It is sweet and delicious.
- Packed with nutrients, fibers, and vitamins.
- It quenches your thirst and fights your hunger in no time.
- It comes with its own natural packaging.
- You can easily carry it as a snack on the go.
- It is available in all seasons.
- It is cost-effective.
- You can make many recipes in a banana (smoothies, cake, bread, muffin, etc)
The name “Banana” comes from the Arabic word “banan” meaning finger and the scientific name of banana is Musa Sapientum meaning ”fruit of the wise”, yes we do agree! Bananas are said to have originated 10,000 years ago in South Pacific or South East Asia. Nearly 100 billion bananas are consumed worldwide every year. China, Brazil, and Indonesia top the list. According to 2020 data from Statista, bananas are the most consumed fruits in the United States. Bananas are the fourth most important crop worldwide in developing countries. Approximately 75% of the annual tropical fruit sale is from bananas and it is also said to be the most exported fruit. Read on to know banana nutrition facts!
Banana Nutrition Value
A medium banana i.e about seven inches long provides the following nutritional value.
Protein: 1.29 grams
Fat: 0.389 grams
Carbohydrates: 26.9 grams
Sugar: 14.4 grams
Fiber: 3.07 grams
Vitamin B6: 0.43 mg
Vitamin C: 10.3 mg
Magnesium: 31.9 mg
Potassium: 422 mg
Manganese: 0.319 mg
Banana Nutrition Facts
- Bananas are rich in potassium. It gives about 450 milligrams of potassium i.e 13% of what you need every day. Potassium is an important component that regulates heartbeat, allows nerves to function well, and manages healthy pressure levels. Bananas also help your muscles work better and prevent kidney stones.
- Resistant starch, a unique kind of carbohydrate, is found in green or unripe bananas. This plays an important role in preventing colorectal cancer.
- Fructooligosaccharidesserve is another natural substance found in bananas. It serves as the prebiotic and enhances the body’s ability to absorb calcium. It also supports digestive health and immune function.
- A medium-size banana contains approximately 11 milligrams of tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin. Serotonin helps you to feel better and happy by increasing your mood levels.
- Bananas are the best fruits for sustained energy. Fiber and vitamin B in bananas help in regulating blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Bananas are an excellent workout-snacks, it helps to boost your beast mode. Yohan Blake, Jamaican Olympic sprinter says that he eats 16 bananas a day. You might have seen many athletes eating bananas on break or after their events. This is because bananas contain three types of sugar and it quickly absorbs into the bloodstream.
- Bananas are also rich in fiber. A medium-sized banana contains 10% of daily fiber requirements. And it is also a great food for weight loss.