The air we breathe makes a lot of difference to our health. We breathe in a lot of fumes, dust, germs and god knows what else. As a matter of fact sometimes the air that we breathe inside our homes is worse than the air we breathe outside.The dust on our book shelves, the air conditioning ducts etc… all make a difference in the quality of the air that we breathe at home.
Here are some ways to make the air that we breathe at home clean and fresh:
- Open the window-The first thing that you can do is to bring in the fresh air from the outside. Provided you’re not situated in an area with a lot of traffic that causes pollution, this is the best way to let in the freshness in and get out all the stale air indoors.
- Clean your air-conditioning and furnace filters-Don’t forget to clean the filters of air conditioners and furnaces. A lot of dust gets clogged in them, especially when they are not used for long periods of time.
- Plants-Fill your house with plants. They not only bring in that much needed fresh oxygen but they also absorb all that carbon dioxide and other harmful chemicals and toxins present in the air and convert them into something harmless.
- Vacuum and clean floor regularly-Carpets are places which attracts the maximum dirt and dust. All the dirt that we trod on daily outdoors gets transferred to our carpets and floors. Try to vacuum daily or of it’s a tiled or wooden floor sweep and mop it.
- Use nontoxic paint-Paints that we use to fashion our home walls contain a lot of harmful chemicals. Instead opt for nontoxic paints such as paints made of clay etc. They not only are nontoxic but they also help absorb the chemicals in the air.
- Candles-When buying scented candles make sure you buy ones that contain only natural oils and not synthesized fragrances, because the synthesized ones release toxins in the air when burnt.
- Smoking-It goes without saying that you should avoid smoking in your house to keep its air fresh and unpolluted.
- Do not use chemical cleaners-Clean and dust using natural products like water and vinegar. Cleansers laden with chemicals leave behind residues that actually pollute the air that we breathe in. Stick to the age old cleaning solutions.
Improve the quality of the air in your home so that you can breathe in fresh air.