We all take the act of brushing for granted. It’s the task that we have been performing since we are toddlers. What most of us don’t know is that we use the wrong brushing techniques or the wrong toothbrushes.
Here are the top 10 tooth brushing mistakes that we make:
- Wrong toothbrush-There are different types of tooth brushes available in the market. If you are the lazy kinds you can go in for an electric toothbrush. Others can choose from a variety of manual ones. Do not select one that is too small as it will not be easy to clean your teeth with it and if the tooth brush is too big, you will find it hard to reach the hard to reach places such as corners at the upper end of your mouth.
- Wrong bristles-Like toothbrushes, bristles also make a difference. You can choose from hard, soft or medium hard bristles. These bristles can also be found in different patterns such as zigzag, circular or straight. So for example if you have sensitive teeth go in for super soft bristles or an angled bristles tooth brush to easily clean the corners. If you use a hard bristled brush for your sensitive teeth or gums you might land up with a mouth full of blood. So make the right choice always.
- Wrong brushing technique-Some people fail to use the right brushing technique. The American Dental Association recommends that you brush your teeth gently by using soft strokes along the teeth not forgetting to brush in vertical and circular motions on the inner outer and chewing areas of your teeth.Do not forget to brush at the base of the teeth near the gums, as this is the place where plaque deposits the most.
- Not brushing enough- For healthy teeth and gums you must brush your teeth at least twice a day. It is also recommended to brush after meals so that you can get out the food particles that get deposited in between your teeth.
- Brushing too frequently-It is good to brush your teeth many times a day. But if you brush your teeth too many times a day, that is more than four times, you stand greater chances of enamel erosion and a receding gum line.
- Brushing at the same spot-We often start brushing our teeth at the same spot. As a result of this we neglect to properly brush the other areas of our teeth. So it’s best to start with a different area each time.
- Ignoring the back end of the teeth-We all rush in the morning to brush our teeth. A lot of us in such a hurry tend to ignore brushing the back side of the teeth. Do not do this. This will result in the buildup of plaque and bacteria and ruin your teeth in the long run.
- Not washing toothbrush-If you brush your teeth well and fail to rinse your toothbrush properly then let me tell you that all your efforts have gone down the drain. If you don’t wash your brush properly then it is likely that all bacteria and dirt will remain in the brush which can lead to unhealthy gums and tooth decay after future uses.
- Storing the brush when its wet-A wet toothbrush is the breeding ground for germs and bacteria. So shake off excess water and allow the brush to dry before you close it up in a cabinet.
- Not replacing brush-A toothbrush has a life of 3 months. Most of us use our toothbrush till the bristles begin to bend and get discolored. A tooth brush with frayed ends will not clean your teeth properly. So don’t forget to change your toothbrush every 3-4 months.
So keep those pearls in your mouth clean and healthy and don’t forget to brush them the right way.