If you are a fan of crispy fried foods then you also must be aware of its side effects. Researchers say that the oils used while preparing fried foods might lead to several health issues such as heart problems, obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cancer. All fried food lovers! you no longer have to worry. You can now enjoy your tasty french fries without oil. Yes! You heard it right. You all must have heard of air fryers, it is a device that uses the circulation of hot air to deep fry the foods. This article helps you know more about air fryers and are air fryers healthy?
What Is an Air Fryer?
Air Fryer is a device that uses hot air circulation instead of oil, in order to heat up and fry foods. It more or less looks like a coffee maker and can be placed on the countertop of the kitchen. The sliced potatoes or nuggets you want to fry must be placed inside the basket of the air fryer. The temperature can go up to 230 degrees Celsius/ 445 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the type of machine used. The circulating air heats and cooks the food leaving the outside crispy and inside soft and makes it taste just like oil fried food. It also comes with a basket below in order to catch the grease. Air fryers create a chemical reaction called “the Milliard Reaction” to improve the color and flavor of the food just like oil fried food.
Why Air Fried Foods Are Better Than Oil Fried Food?
- Air fryers can cook all types of food that can be cooked with oil including pizza, french fries, fish fries, etc.
- Air fried foods have about 60 to 80 percent fewer calories compared to oil-fried foods. It also has a lot less fat, hence prevents several health problems created by oily foods.
- Air frying also lowers the amount of acrylamide in fried potatoes greatly. It is usually formed due to high heat. Many researchers say that eating foods that have the formation of acrylamide can lead to severe health problems such as pancreatic and breast cancer. Sometimes, it may also lead to kidney problems and ovarian cancer. This risk is highly reduced while using air fryers.
- Only 1 teaspoon or even less of oil is enough to get the same result as the oil fried food. This can save so much oil eventually, help save more money.
- If you are a person who is struggling to lose weight but cannot stop yourself from eating oil fried food, you must get an air fryer. It is a perfect replacement and you can still get food that is the same in taste and flavor as oil fried food. Now losing weight without sacrificing your favorite foods is much simpler and easier.
- If you are new to cooking, handling oil pans might lead to spilling or splashing of hot oil. The air fryers can help you avoid the risk of using hot oil while making sure to give the same results. Starting off with air fryers is far better than using hot oil to cook.
There is no evidence that Air fried foods are healthier, it has its own advantages and disadvantages. It is recommended to reduce the consumption of fried food in general. But it is a better alternative to deep oil frying methods. If you are planning to buy air fryers, there are several options available. One can buy them online or in electronic stores or supermarkets.