Still wondering, how you can treat cold sores at home?
Cold sores are nothing but fever blisters that are often caused by HSV-1 i.e. Herpes Simplex Virus. They develop on the upper body, including the tongue, on the lips, and around the mouth. Cold sores last for more than 7 days and clean up by themselves, what happens is the blisters break open and fluids pop up. People often take cold sores like canker sores in babies. It makes the child suffer from illness.
90% of people from the world have HSV. HSV spreads when you come in contact with people.
Some remedies can reduce the intensity and outbreak of cold sores. Medicines are available but you can try these home remedies to treat cold sores.
- It allows you to experience certain pain and causes
- Muscle pain
- Swollen lymph
- Changes in the immune system
- Hormonal changes like menstruation
Top Five Ways to Treat Cold Sores at Home
1. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm has antiviral properties i.e. Melissa officinalis. It will decrease the inflammation and the redness connected with a blister and prevent future infections- according to the study of Scientist Direct.
Use a lip balm with at least 1% lemon. Alternatively, you can have lemon tea which cures the cold sores.
2. Take Antiviral Medication
You need to buy medicines that contain docosanol or benzyl alcohol that reduces cold sores or you can also use lysine – a cream that helps to decrease the outbreaks.
Ice may reduce the breakout and will ease the pain and inflammation of cold sores. You can apply an ice cube to the inflamed area for temporary relief.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has anti-inflammatory and antiviral effects on cold sores. It is better to use aloe Vera gel on the affected area to ease the pain.
Wearing sunscreen not only protects your lip but also cures cold sores. If you wear sunscreen daily on lips it may reduce future outbreaks. Buy a sunscreen with SPF 30 or above so that you can apply whenever you step out in the sun.
Prevention Tips to Follow
As we aware by now that it spreads by direct contact. It is better if you adopt a new hygiene routine to prevent the general cold sore.
You should not touch cold sores spot frequently
- Apply creams or ointments or oil frequently.
- Washing your hand is very important before you handling the sore
- Do not dab creams onto sore instead you should apply gently.
- You need to replace your toothbrush once you get rid of a cold sore.
- Do not eat foods that have acidic, salty content.
- You should avoid kissing or other intimate activities.
- Yes, don’t forget to apply lip balm and sunscreen.
It will easily go away if you treat cold sores at home by following the above methods and ways.