Where do scabies mites come from in the first place?
Sarcoptes Scabiei, a type of burrowing mite, is what causes the scratchy skin condition known as scabies. This skin condition is extremely contagious, extremely itchy, and can spread from one affected person to another. Continue reading to know in detail about scabies treatment, symptoms of scabies, and scabies prevention.
Symptoms of scabies
It will usually take 2 to 5 weeks for the scabies symptoms to show in people who are newly exposed to scabies. It will only take 1 to 4 days for the symptoms to show in people who have already suffered from scabies. The symptoms of scabies includes:
- Intense itching, especially at night
- A rash with small, red bumps or blisters, often in the folds of the skin
- Thin, irregular burrow tracks made up of tiny blisters or bumps on the skin
- Sores caused by scratching
- Thick crusts on the skin caused by prolonged scratching
- Irritation and inflammation of the skin due to an allergic reaction to the mite
Though scabies is usually found in the skin folds. It can also affect other body parts such as:
- Inner elbows
- Belly button
- Groin, buttocks, and genital areas
- Near the waist
- Inside the wrists areas
- Feet’s bottoms
- Fingers and palms
- Head, neck, and face
Causes of scabies
Scabies is caused when the tiny eight legged mites burrow into the top layer of your skin to live , feed, and the female one’s even reproduce. These mites are invisible and can jump from one person to another easily. The mites may rest in furniture, clothes, and bedding through which humans easily acquire them.
Types of scabies
Though there is only one type of scabies causing mite, they can still cause three different types of scabies infection. Below listed are the three types of scabies,
This is the most common type of scabies and causes infectious rash mostly on the hands and wrists.
This type is common in babies and causes raised bumps or lumps on the scalp, face, genitals, armpits, or groin.
Norwegian scabies also known as crusted scabies is the most severe form of scabies. This type of scabies usually affects people with weakened immune systems. The weak immune system helps the mites to reciprocate in a faster way . People who develop crusted scabies will have 100 to 1000 mites inside their skin which is around 20 times more than normal scabies. They appear thick and gray and can crumble when touched.
- Avoid close skin-to-skin contact with infected individuals.
- Avoid sharing personal items such as clothing, towels, and bedding.
- Wash clothing, towels, and bedding in hot water and dry them on high heat.
- Vacuum carpets and upholstered furniture regularly.
- If someone in your household has scabies, all members should be treated at the same time.
What is the most common treatment for scabies?
Scabies treatment usually includes medicated cream or lotion that kills the mites and their eggs. It is important to follow the instructions provided by your healthcare provider when using these medications. If you have been in close contact with someone who has scabies, it is recommended to receive treatment as a precautionary measure.