How many times have you declined a promotion because it involved going to a place that required air travel? Have you missed out on an international education because of your fear of air travel? Do not worry. You are not alone. There are hundreds of people who face the same jitters when faced with the prospect of travelling by air.
Anxiety can be a problem to cope with in air travel. Here are some tips to help you overcome your fear of flying:
- Know what to expect-You might be flying for the first time so read about the real experiences of flying from posts written by other passengers. In this techno era you can log onto certain websites and even listen to the sounds you might expect on your flight that range from the sounds and bumps of take-off to even the announcements at the airport.
- Trust the airline and how safe it really is-Just because you have read about a few air crashes doesn’t make flying really dangerous. Come to think about it, hundreds of people die of motor accidents all over the world. There is not particular safety threat to flying.
- Pretend-Imagine that you are somewhere else. For example pretend that you are travelling by bus. Close your eyes and imagine that you are travelling by bus. This helps in reducing the fear and anxiety.
- Distract yourself-Stop worrying about flying. Be prepared and bring a book to read or play a game on your iPad or phone. You can even strike up a conversation with the person sitting next to you. The key is to keep your brain busy and not give it time to worry about the flying experience.
- Visit your doctor for sedatives or anti-anxiety pills-If none of the above works, don’t beat yourself about it. Simply visit your doctor and explain the situation. Most likely he will prescribe you a few doses of anti-anxiety pills or sedatives.
If you follow these guidelines you can alleviate your fear of flying and come to enjoy the experience.