All of us have suffered from mouth ulcers at some stage or the other in our lives. The experience can be very painful and it even prevents your fro enjoying your meals. These sores that appear on your tongue, cheeks, lips or the floor of the mouth usually take a few days to heal.
Here are some home remedies to reduce the inflammation, reduce the pain and even heal these sores faster:
- Honey-Honey is a gift from nature to us. It is the cure for hundreds of health problems. It has anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties. Just dab some honey on the affected area and feel the difference. Honey will reduce the pain and inflammation and give you a cool feeling.
- Coconut-Coconut is known for soothing pain in wounds. You can choose to swish a few mouthfuls of coconut milk in your mouth or even massage a little coconut oil on the affected area.
- Coriander seeds-This is an ancient Ayurveda treatment for inflammation. Boil some coriander seeds in water for a few minutes. Strain and use that water to swish through your mouth. Repeat several times a day.
- Sea salt and hydrogen peroxide-Sea salt and hydrogen peroxide have antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Mix equal quantities of both ingredients in a glass of warm water and use as a mouth wash.Note: Do not swallow this sea salt and hydrogen peroxide mixture.
- Baking soda-This is the remedy that suits me best. It will cause the wound to burn but then it will make that ulcer disappear in a jiffy. Make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Apply to the affected area and wash off after a few minutes.
- Aloe Vera-Aloe Vera is known for treating many oral conditions. It has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti- fungal properties. It promotes healing of mouth sores and works as a natural antiseptic. Just apply Aloe Vera juice on the affected areas.
- Celery-Celery helps in reducing the pain and inflammation caused by mouth ulcers. Simply chew on a stick of celery and let the pulp rest on the mouth ulcer for a few minutes.
- Basil-Basil has wonderful anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. It helps in the faster healing of wounds. Chew on properly washed basil leaves to benefit from its properties.
- Ice-Ice helps to numb the pain and inflammation caused by the ulcers. You can apply it directly to the area or hold it in place through a porous cloth.
- Licorice Root-Licorice roots acts as a demulcent, forming a coating over the ulcer and helps reduce inflammation and helps prevent infections. Soak this root in water for a couple of days. Use as a mouth wash.
Do try out these home remedies before you resort to over the counter products at the pharmacy.