With scientific advancements and the innovation and implementation of technology, the hearing aid has been made into finer and better versions so that there will be no trace or visibility of the eternal piece of device.
Hearing aid plays a vital role in supporting those with lesser hearing potential. The hearing aid can assist those with mild or moderate hearing impairment by amplifying the sounds heard.
Why are some hearing aids available without a prescription? FDA announced the facility to get hearing aids over-the-counter in August. The process of getting these aids has now become simple. One can get it over-the-counter or online without following the several-step procedure.
This step aims to cut down the price consumers would pay for consulting an audiologist, medical examination, and other expenses.
The step ultimately aims at lowering medical expenses and increasing the quality and accessibility of medical facilities without financial hindrance. FDA says over-the-counter hearing aid does not cover those under the age of 18 or those with severe hearing impairment.
How to figure out the need?
These are the signs that tell the need for a hearing aid:
- Comfortable with hearing one-on-one conversations, but gets hearing difficult with distance and reduced volume.
- The requirement is to increase the volume when watching or listening to anything louder than usual.
- Difficulty in comprehending sound or hearing muffled sounds.
- Inability to understand others in a noisy environment.
Over-the-counter counter hearing aids benefits
- Over-the-counter hearing aids are cost-efficient.
- It saves time, as a prescription or diagnosis from a healthcare provider is not a necessity.
- It is conveniently available because one can buy it from nearby shops, drugstores, or websites online.
- Control of the individual over one’s own health.
- It is convenient in many ways as per the individual’s requirement, as getting it at the time of need with immediate access and wasting no time in waiting along with the several-step process.
These factors make the cheaper over-the-counter hearing aids a convenient option.
Disadvantages of over-the-counter hearing aid
- Self-examination and analysis can sometimes lead to incorrect conclusions with the current condition.
- Maintaining accurate track of the hearing condition can be difficult.
- The chance of considering severe hearing loss as mild or moderate hearing impairment can lead to consequences.
- Any underlying cause for the condition can remain unknown.
- The individual should bear the consequences of any misdiagnosis.
All of these are possibilities and might be rare cases.
Difference between otc and traditional hearing aid
The price is several times lower than the traditional hearing aid, where there is a need to visit an audiologist and spend time and money on the process.
A traditional hearing aid caters to all age groups, but an otc caters to those above 18 years, and children with hearing difficulties cannot go for this option.
A traditional hearing aid is fitted by a professional, whereas with an otc, the individual is responsible for fitting the device.
A traditional hearing aid can be customized to a person’s specific needs, whereas an over-the-counter hearing aid is made to fit practically the majority of the crowd.
This blog hopes to bring awareness about the over-the-counter hearing aid. Though there are several over-the-counter hearing aids benefits, please visit a doctor immediately if you have any questions or difficulties in hearing, and then opt for the suitable option with proper guidance.