Lung cancer is a type of cancer that occurs when lung cells mutate. It is the leading cause of cancer deaths and the third most common cancer following breast and prostate cancer.
Cancer cells grow tremendously and cluster together to form a tumor and they damage healthy lung tissues. However, symptoms may be unidentified until they spread to other parts of the body and disturb body functionality. Continue reading to know more about the types, causes and medical innovation.
Types of Lung Cancer
Two main types of lung cancer,
- Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC)
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC).
The third and less uncommon type of lung cancer is Carcinoid. It spreads slowly when compared to other types of lung cancer and is usually treated with surgery.
Causes and Signs of Lung Cancer
Find some of the major risks causing lung cancer.
The first major reason would be “smoking” where 90% of lung cancer is caused by toxic substances. The two spongy organs in the chest region that inhale oxygen and exhale carbon-di-oxide will be affected heavily in the case of chain smokers. Non-smokers are also at risk when breathing in second-hand smoke.
Tobacco smoking contains toxic chemicals that can damage the lungs. It is better to consider quitting (smoking) immediately for lung health.
- The second-leading cause of lung cancer is Radon. The chemical element is a radioactive, colorless, odorless, and tasteless noble gas that exists naturally in the soil. The risk is high when it is combined with cigarette smoking.
- Protect yourself when working with materials such as cadmium, uranium, arsenic, chromium, nickel, and asbestos, which are hazardous in nature.
- Pollution is another major factor. Particle pollution combines minute and tiny solids and liquid particles in the air. Inhaling these consistently may increase the risk of lung cancer.
It is important to show your doctor the family history when someone is already affected. Genetic factors play a major role in getting this disease.
The new artificial intelligence (AI) tool known as “Sybil” was developed by scientists at Mass General Cancer Center and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge. It can easily spot the early signs of lung cancer even before the doctor finds them on a CT scan. Sybil uses a single LDCT (Low-dose chest computed tomography) scan to spot the disease at an early stage.
“Lung cancer is mostly curable when it is identified at an early stage,” said Dr. Kim Sandler, an associate professor of radiology. But the biggest challenge is early detection. The only way to find this is through a CT scan, by the time cancer shows symptoms such as consistent cough and breathing trouble. This stage may find difficult to treat. But an AI tool like Sybil can increase the rate of early detection and yes it also improves survival rate.
Sybil, the innovative AI tool for lung cancer promises early detection. With its advanced capabilities, it has the potential to significantly improve patient outcomes and reduce the global burden of lung cancer.