Guide to Alcohol Poisoning

People around us drink all the time. Little do they realize the hazard that are attached to it, especially if the amount of alcohol consumed is not kept in check.A normal person should not drink more than one ounce of alcohol in an hour. If he drinks more, his body finds it hard to process such excess alcohol and results in disruption of the natural processing of the body.

Here are the symptoms of people suffering from alcohol overdose:

  • Nausea
  • Disorientation
  • Vomiting
  • Seizure
  • Irregular or slow breathing
  • Hypothermia (decrease in body temperature)
  • Pale or blue skin
  • Blanks out or becomes unconscious

Please keep in mind that all these symptoms need not be present at the same time for the person to be suffering from alcohol poisoning.

People likely to suffer from alcohol poisoning include:

  • Young adults who drink excessively
  • People with more fat content in the body, as body takes time to absorb it.
  • People who binge drink (drink more than five drinks in an hour)
  • People suffering from health complications like high blood pressure or diabetes.
  • People who consume drugs while drinking

If you suspect that a person is has alcohol poisoning you can follow these steps:

  • Never leave the side of the person suffering from alcohol poisoning
  • Call 911
  • Make sure the person does not choke on his own vomit
  • At regular intrevals check the breathing levels of the person
  • Be ready to perform CPR if you feel there is a problem in his heart rate or breathing levels.
  • Do not allow the victim to slip into an unconscious state.

We can prevent alcohol poisoning by observing the following:

  • Limit or totally abstain from drinking alcohol.
  • Do not drink on an empty stomach.
  • Join a group such as alcoholics anonymous to seek help from your drinking problem.

If you feel that you have a drinking problem, do not hesitate to seek help. You do not want to die just because you downed one too many drinks.